Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance

I have a speedometer on a 200 merc optimax OB that doesnt

I have a speedometer on a 200 merc optimax OB that doesn't show the speed of the bass boat. I have been told to run a wire thru the pilot hole to clear the blockage. Will this help?
I will be happy to assist you. If you have a question or need clarification please post back at any time.
There is a small hole in the front of the gearcase for the speedo pick up. You can use a piece of leader line wire or similar to run into the hold to remove any built up corrosion. If you can't reach the gearcase you can use some compressed air and blow back through the speedo hose up at the engine.
If the engine has much corrosion or has run in shallow water the hole in the gearcase gets packed with debris. in this case you will need to use a piece of wire or even a small drill bit. If real bad the lower unit will have to come off and the orifice and cavity under the shift shaft bushing will need to be cleaned.
Please post back with any additional questions if necessary.