davesoutboard, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  marina owner for 20+years, certified Evinrude tech

I have a 2000 Johnson 115 V4 with the OIS 2000 optical ignition

I have a 2000 Johnson 115 V4 with the OIS 2000 optical ignition system.My issue started when the engine was idling but when I tried to throttle up it would die.I thought it may be water in the fuel but that was not the case.Then I checked for spark and had none.I have power going to the voltage regulator(red wire)with the key in the on position but nothing coming out.I then tried unplugging the port side plug on the power pack and then I get spark when cranking over the engine.If I plug it back in again no spark.Any idea what is causing this?Thanks in advance.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for letting me try and assist you with your problem.

ok you either have a bad power pack or the black/yellow wire that goes to the emergency stop lanyard is bad

un-plug the black yellow wire from the power packs and see if you get spark
if you do then the key switch or the safety lanyard' is bad
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not looking at the motor right now but I think there are only 2 plugs going into the power pack.I think the yellow and black plug comes out of the voltage regulator,should I unplug it there?When I unplugged it earlier I did not get spark when trying but only got spark when I unplugged the portside plug that goes directly to the power pack.When I plug it back in I would lose spark again.
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 5 years ago.
you should have a black yellow going into the power packs
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I had to look at the motor.there are 2 plugs with 4 wires on each and 5 wires going directly into the center of the power pack with out a plug.One of the 4 wires on the portside plug is black w/ a yellow stripe.When I unplug that plug I do get spark but I am unplugging all 4 wires and not just the black and yellow.The other colors on that plug are light brown or tan , white w/black stripe , yellow w/red stripe.I want to order a part to fix it but want to make sure I get the right one.Thanks
Expert:  davesoutboard replied 5 years ago.

This motor only has one powerpack. When you unplugged the one harness that has the black/yellow in it and crank the motor and it now has spark that is telling you that everything on the motor is OK. The voltage regulator has nothing to do with the ignition, the other wires on that plug in are basically for the warning system on the motor that will limit RPM in an overheat or lack of oil condition. I think if you check that black/yellow wire you will find it is going to ground. It should only be doing that with the key in the off position. Your problem could be either a bad wiring harness, bad ignition switch or a broken kill switch in the boat.

I just jumped in to help you out. If you like the answer go ahead and accept H2Os answer, so that he gets the credit for it.

davesoutboard, Marine Mechanic
Experience: marina owner for 20+years, certified Evinrude tech