Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance

I have a 1989 Johnson Tracker 40 H.P. outboard model # TJ40ELCEC.

I have a 1989 Johnson Tracker 40 H.P. outboard model # XXXXX I hit a rock with the lower unit at not much more than idle speed, minor damage to the skeg and prop, I've done much worse it the past. The engine will not turn over, almost acts like it is seized. I can't turn the prop or the power head. I have attempted to remove the lower unit for inspection thinking that I may have broken something in the bottom half. I removed the 4 mounting bolts and disconected the shifting arm but the lower half won't seperate from the top. Can you give me an idea what you feel may be wrong and also if you feel taht it may be the lower unit how do I seperate it from the upper half?

I will be happy to assist you. If you have a question or need clarification please post back at any time.
You disconnected the shift shaft from under the carbs?
Remove the trim tab and disconnect the bolt under there. This should allow you to drop the gearcase. Then you can find out of the problem is in the lower unit or powerhead.
Usually if you can turn the flywheel at all the problem is the lower unit.
It is possible that you broke or seized the gears in the lower unit not allowing them to turn at all. In this case the flywheel would only move a fraction of and inch if that.
But go ahead and drop the gearcase, let me know if the flywheel turns then, and post back your results.