Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  39 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I need a Volvo Penta dripless shaft seal, part number Volvo

Customer Question

I need a Volvo Penta dripless shaft seal, part number Volvo Penta 828416. It fits a 30mm shaft and a 57mm (2 1/4") rear tube.

The part may be out of production so I may need a cross reference to a newer part number.

PYI dripless shaft seal will not fit. They are too long. I need a "lip" type shaft seal.

Joe Walsh
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Boat
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer.

The number you gave is not an accurate Volvo part number.

When ever you are trying to find marine engine parts (or information on them) it is vital that you include the engine model, type of drive, and engine serial number.

I am going to leave this question open to all the experts so that when you include the information needed any of us can get you a quick answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am reading the Volvo part number right off of the part.

828416

I am reading the part number off of the old part.

The Volvo part may no longer be in production. If so I need a cross reference to another part that will work and fit.

The part is a dripless shaft seal for a 30 mm shaft and a 57 mm (2 1/4") diameter stern tube. The engine in this case is a Yanmar, but that does not matter.

The Volvo 828416 provides a rubber lip seal around the propeller shaft to keep water from coming in. MY boat was designed for the Volvo part.

The PYI part fits the shaft is 30 mm and the stern tube is 57 mm diameter, but the PYI part is too long to fit on the shaft. The maximum seal lenght my boat can tollerate is about 4 1/2".

Joe

Expert:  Tan replied 3 years ago.
Hi Joe, I found a company that carries the type dripless packing you are looking for here is the link, if this is no help please post back. click here The part number on you packing has no meaning as far as a part number is XXXXX The equivalent is a 328422 which comes up in Volvo here is the link to that number. click here

Edited by Tan Partin on 10/8/2010 at 12:43 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your responce. However, the Volvo part you mentioned does not fit either.

The Volvo part 828422 has the correct shaft dia., however the sleve dia. is 48 mm which is too small for my 57 mm stern tube. I check all of the present Volvo offerings, done of them fit.

I am hoping there is a different manufacture that has the part.

The critical dimentions are:

30 mm shaft dia.

57 mm (2 1/4') sleve dia.

4 1/2 '' maximum lenght

Joe

Expert:  Tan replied 3 years ago.
Did you try Tides Marine they have a variety of Dripless applications? I will continue my research also to help you. Check this kit, click here

Edited by Tan Partin on 10/8/2010 at 3:05 PM EST