Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

How do you replace an impeller on a 2004 mercury 175 hp optimax

How do you replace an impeller on a 2004 mercury 175 hp optimax outboard. Do you need special tools?
Hi, There are no special tools remove the lower unit bolts remove pump cover install impeller. Here is a diagram of bolts to be removed.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Do I only need to replace only the impeller, or is there a kit with gaskets etc. which I would need

Do the kit here is the part number 96148T 1 inspect for any distortion to the base under the impeller if it looks burnt or melted replace the base it will be obvious. Here s the p/n 42579A 3 for the base .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much, can I get the parts list to the diagram you provided?
Yes here is the link so you van even order your parts from. click here
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Another dumb question. Do I need to drain the oil out of the lower unit before I remove it ?
No you do not but it would be a good time to change the gear lube.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is the torque specs for the nuts and bolts on the lowere unit. Do I have to remove the drive shaft? How is that done?
No you do not have to remove the drive shaft, you don't have to go into the gearcase. The torque run the nuts up tight and turn half turn more. If you need the number I will look it up this is not precision work.