Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Experience:  Multiple factory certifications 20+ years of experience.
8380480

how do winterize a 2006 mercury 75 horsepower 4stroke engi

how do winterize a 2006 mercury 75 horsepower 4stroke engine
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 4 years ago.
The major consideration in preparing your outboard for storage is to protect it from rust, corrosion,
and damage caused by freezing of trapped water. When storing your outboard motor for prolonged periods of time (2 months or longer), several important procedures must be performed to prevent expensive damage. It is advisable to have your outboard serviced by an authorized Mercury dealer prior to storage. However, the following storage procedures can be performed by the owner with a minimum of tools.

1. To prevent problems which can be caused by oil entering the cylinder from the sump,
keep the engine in the vertical position when transporting and storing it.2. Do not place the engine on its side before the cooling water has drained from it completely,
or water may enter the cylinder through the exhaust port and cause problems.3. Store the engine in a dry, well ventilated place, not in direct sunlight.
4. Drain the remaining gasoline from the vapor separator. Gasoline left in the vapor separator
for a prolonged period of time will break down and possibly cause damage to the fuel line.

CAUTION
Never start or run your outboard (even momentarily) without water circulating through the cooling water intake in the gear case to prevent damage to the water pump (running dry) or overheating of the engine.

Fuel System
IMPORTANT: Gasoline containing alcohol (ethanol or methanol) can cause a formation
of acid during storage and can damage the fuel system. If the gasoline being
used contains alcohol, it is advisable to drain as much of the remaining gasoline as
possible from the fuel tank, remote fuel line, and engine fuel system.

Fill the fuel system (tank, hoses, fuel pump, and carburetor) with treated (stabilized) fuel to
help prevent formation of varnish and gum. Proceed with following instructions.

in a 6gal outboard tank mix
-5gal unleaded gas 87 octane
-64oz. Quicksilver premium 2stroke oil
-fuel stabilizer (according to instructions on bottle)

2. Permanently Installed Fuel Tank – Pour the required amount of Gasoline Stabilizer (follow
instructions on container) into a separate container and mix with approximately one
quart (one liter) of gasoline. Pour this mixture into fuel tank.
3. Place the outboard in water or connect flushing attachment for circulating cooling water.
Run the engine for ten minutes to allow treated fuel to fill the engine fuel system.

ALSO DRAIN THE VST TANK IF NOT USING OVER 6 WEEKS

Protecting External Outboard Components
1. Lubricate all outboard components listed in the Inspection and Maintenance Schedule.
2. Touch up any paint nicks.
3. Spray Corrosion Guard on external metal surfaces (except corrosion control anodes).

Protecting Internal Engine Components
1. Remove the spark plugs and inject a small amount of engine oil inside of each cylinder.
2. Rotate the flywheel manually several times to distribute the oil in the cylinders. Reinstall
spark plugs.
3. Change the engine oil and oil filter.

Gear Case
1. Drain and refill the gear case lubricant (refer to maintenance procedure).
Positioning Outboard for Storage
Store outboard in an upright (vertical) position to allow water to drain out of outboard.
CAUTION
If outboard is stored tilted up in freezing temperature, trapped cooling water or rain
water that may have entered the propeller exhaust outlet in the gear case could
freeze and cause damage to the outboard.
Battery Storage
1. Follow the battery manufacturer’s instructions for storage and recharging.
2. Remove the battery from the boat and check water level. Recharge if necessary.
3. Store the battery in a cool, dry place.
4. Periodically check the water level and recharge the battery during storage.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I need to know what type of oil to use and how much. How do I get to the oil filter.

I do not have an owners manual for this motor, so I can't refer to the manual

Thanks

Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 4 years ago.
post the serial number and i will get you every part number
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Experience: Multiple factory certifications 20+ years of experience.
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 4 years ago.
Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What make is your Boat ?

-What model is your Boat?

-How many horsepower is your Boat?

-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.