Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

Yamaha 200TXRR 6G6 UL 764450 Outboard Motor. I dont have

Yamaha 200TXRR 6G6 UL 764450 Outboard Motor. I don't have power to get the boat planed out against the tide. I can only go as high as 4400 rpm's. But with the tide I can get her planed out and up to 5000 rpm's. My question is what can I do to better the power for against the tide. I did rebuild the carb's and it ran good for a couple of trips out in the ocean and now we are encountering this problem. What could be causing this to act up now or is it something maybe I didn't do right while rebuilding carbs.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX will help you with your problem. So First thing you check is that all your spark plugs are firing. this can be checked by taking out the plugs put them in their hi tension and place them somewhere touching the metal body of the engine. Make someone crank the engine and see if all of them are sparking. If one or more of them is not sparking, then you may have either a bad spark plug or trouble with the ignition system. The plugs can be easily replaced to see if they are bad. if there is spark on all plugs, then you have to check again the fuel system. Check out that the fuel tank is clean and all connections are tight. Check that all carbs are working properly by removing their front cover. run the boat on the water and place your hand in front of each carb holes and see what the engine does. If it dies then the carb should be ok if it gains power for an instant that carb will need to be rebuilt again. Also check that the fuel pump is giving enough fuel by pressing on the fuel bulb while trying to plane the boat. If it gains power the fuel pump would need to be rebuilt. finally if nothing of the above worked check your engines compression of each cylinder. They should be of mere then 100 psi and not more then 10 psi difference between cylinders. Hope my information was helpful. Feel free to ask me again if need be. Noel
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
to check the compression would it be ok to use a compression tester for a car?
Yes it is ok to use a car compression tester. Noel
Did you check the compression? Noel