K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  24 yrs exp. Inboard/Outboard mechanic Mercury/ Mercruiser, Volvo Penta and OMC, Johnson/Evin.

Please I just bought a Herters 1959 St. Lawrence which came

Customer Question

Please I just bought a Herters 1959 St. Lawrence which came with a Evinrude GJ 18HP Fastwin Motor It has the what I believe to be a pressurized Fuel sending unit which I believe may have benn outlawed? Is there a conversion kit available for this system and if so where would i find it? The motor runs great and has a lot of power but it has issues with flooding which at times make it difficult or impossible to start? Please help?
Category: Boat
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 6 years ago.
Did you rebuild the carburetor?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 6 years ago.
It is possible to convert these engines to the single hose fuel line but it requires a modification to install the fuel pump. This fuel system pressurizes the tank with crank case pressure through a check valve. If the engine is flooding, the inlet needle in the carburetor is leaking or the float level is too high. This system is not illegal to own and use, you just can't use it on a new engine. The conversion involves removing the check valve and hooking up a fuel pump, getting rid of the fuel fitting, hoses and tank. Rebuilding the carburetor would be much less expensive. This system is safe as long as you have no leaks on the fuel line.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This does make sense but I need an outlet for parts and a manual for the motor?
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 6 years ago.
The link will get you a down-loadable manual.
The second link might get you the parts you need.

Edited by K.Kergan on 8/3/2010 at 3:08 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

None of this is helpful since i wouldn't know what to look for.

The rebuilding of the carb may be one way to look at this issue but I believe there is always more than one way to solve an issue and sometimes you may need all of them or none of them.

There is no leaks in the fuel and air lines that I can asses. The fuel system is pumped up from the seperate gas tank that produces pressure in the system and from what I can tell is that the system is or has to much pressure which made me think it might just be that the carb bowl is full and will not except more fuel? Since I am not an engine mechanic (my mechanical expertise lie in the building trades) I am not sure what to do. Hense this is why I am asking you. if the carb rebuild doesn't work where do I go from there? Tune up, coil , spark plugs, points or etc.,?

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 6 years ago.
The fuel system worked fine for many years, it is unlikely that the problem is too much pressure. It would be common knowledge in the industry and I have never heard that this fuel system over-pressurizes. It is far more likely that the inlet needle in the carburetor is leaking. If the engine is actually flooding, the carburetor rebuild will solve the problem. If it only seems to be flooding because of weak spark, an ignition tune-up will solve it. If you have strong spark when cranking it, rebuild the carburetor. If the spark is weak or intermittent at cranking, do an ignition tune-up first. A thorough outboard tune-up consists of a number of things including checking the water pump, changing the gear oil, rebuilding the carburetor and putting in new points and condenser and spark plugs. The carburetor kits for these engines are inexpensive compared to some other brands. If this were my motor, I would do both the ignition and carburetor kit.