Shane Creekmore
Shane Creekmore, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  I have 18 years experience rebuilding and repairing outboard motors
15855099

I have a 1989 Evinrude 40 hp, model e40elcec, that I keep getting

I have a 1989 Evinrude 40 hp, model e40elcec, that I keep getting the constant overheat tone on. There is a ton of water coming out of the tell tale and the water jackets are cool to the touch? What could the problem be?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Shane Creekmore replied 6 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. If you do not understand or need further clarification just let me know.
Does the alarm come on as soon as you turn the key on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. The alarm comes on after you have the boat up on plane and has been running at full throttle for a couple of minutes. Just idling there is no alarm.
You could have a faulty temp sensor. Or the motor could be overheating just enough to kick the alarm on.
The water jacket will stay cool to the touch as long as you have any water pressure. Were you want to touch is the block behind the flywheel just in front of the head. It is best to use a temp gun and should run around 143 degrees.
Whenever your water pump impeller gets weak it can still spray a good stream out of the tattle tale but may not have enough pressure to unseat the thermostat. The thermostat keeps the motor cool while idling then when you take off the water pressure unseats the therm and it acts like a poppet valve.