Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma

My 50 hp mercury will not start. It turns over but it seems

Customer Question

My 50 hp mercury will not start. It turns over but it seems as in the kill switch it preventing the motor from starting. Any suggestions.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX will give you some advice to try and solve your problem. So first of all check if you have spark at your spark plugs. Yuo can check this by taking off the plugs from the cylinder put them back inside their hi tension and place them touching the body of the engine. Make someone turn the engine with the starter and check if you can see the spark plugs spark. If yes your problem is most probably dirty carburetors and they'll need to get cleaned. If on the other case there is no spark you have to trouble shoot your ignition system. First thing to check was the kill switch which you did already. Second is you have to disconnect the black/yellow wire going to the switch box. If you disconnect it and spark comes most probably it a faulty tilt switch. This is a cylindrical shaped switch with a yell ow/black wire going in and out of it. If still no spark you have to get a mechanic to check the stator / trigger and the switch box. Hope i was of help to you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could not wait. Had a marina service engine and found the primer bulb back flow valve inside was damaged and the ball inside the bulb was restricting the flow of fuel to the engine. Had to replace the bulb and that fixed the problem.
Ok hope you solve the problem. If you were satisfied with my answer kindly press the accept button. Noel