Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Experience:  Multiple factory certifications 20+ years of experience.
8380480

I recently bought a 1988 bayliner with a 2.5L 4 cyl gm engine

I recently bought a 1988 bayliner with a 2.5L 4 cyl gm engine in it,it has an omc outdrive. Some of the things wrote on the outdrive are (cobra 2000 v6). The person i bought this boat from had just had a new engine put in it but they could not get it running. I have fixed that problem but the boat is over heating. I have put a new thermostat in it and a new impeller pump on the outdrive. I was told that a boat should not run over 160 and this one is going all the way up to 210 and i know that is way too high. I have pulled the water pump on it and inspected it and it is in good shape. If you submerge the outdrive in a bucket of water it will not pull any of the water out. My questions are when the outdrive is submerge in a bucket of water should it pull water out of the bucket. Does v6 being wrote on the outdrive mean that it should be a v6 instead of a 4 cyl. Can you tell me what i need to check to try and fix the over heating problem.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 6 years ago.
Welcome

sounds like you have a hole in the outdrive cooling hose

you need to pull the outdrive and check it

or you have impeller pieces stuck in the oil cooler

try running without a t stat and see if it goes to 210