Whitecap36
Whitecap36, Marine Technician
Experience:  28 years Certified Marine Technician and past FL State Certified teaching degree
22491800

I have a 1980 mercury 150 on a 18ft champion bass boat. I need

I have a 1980 mercury 150 on a 18ft champion bass boat. I need to know what is a good prop size to start with? The prop was stolen and I haven't a clue as to what size it was.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Whitecap36 replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I'm Mike.
Here try this Mercury Propeller Selector Guide:

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propellers/prop-selector/#
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did this and the engine choices only went back to 2000 150 efi and they recomened a 14.67" x 21p. Will this get me in the ballpark? Also whats the difference between alum.and ss?
If your comparing alike three blade props then there is no need to change pitches when changing from alum to stainless as the alum blades now are a progressive pitch prop and there is now blade twisting with the new alloys being used.
I think you need to do a little prop testing if your looking for the best performance prop the first time around. Many dealers such as ours, and more so dealers with marinas have loaner props for test purposes. I think a 21p is a good place to start.
I would want to get a prop that accelerates well out of the hole and will run 5500 rpms at wot with an average load and just you in the boat.