RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Yamaha Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Serv Mgr, G/M
10825618

I have a 93 yamaha wave runner. I had no spark. I changed ignition

Customer Question

I have a 93 yamaha wave runner. I had no spark. I changed ignition coil assy.No spark I changed the cdi unit no spark. I change the coil charge, coil lighting and the coil pulser. We have spark it wants to start but it keeps back firing. We think it is the time but do not know what it is we see the mark. Please help. mike zollinger
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 6 years ago.
Definitely sounds like you need to set your timing.
What model yamaha do you have?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, thanks it is a 93 yamaha pro-vxr wave runner
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 6 years ago.
Did you line up the line on the stator to the mark cast into the case?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
does the coil pulser or the coils in the stator have a certain way the go in? ie top or bottom?
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 6 years ago.
You should get an inline spark tester and make sure you have constant spark while cranking the engine over.
The charging coil goes top right, lighting coil along the bottom, and pulse coil to the left if you are holding it in your hand or looking at it from the front of the engine.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am at work i will try that tonight and get back to you thanks for your help.mpz
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is their any timing ajustments? With my timing light installed it looks like a normal spark. We definatly lined the timing marks on the stator to the mark on the case. Is their a timing mark to see BTC or when its firing?
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 6 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX Jeremy asked me if I could assist.
There are a couple of things that come to mind.
First, if you want to find out if it is firing in the general vicinity of TDC, take the cover off the coupler at the rear of the engine, take the spark plugs out, and use a screw driver down the spark plug hole to set the front piston at TDC. Make a mark on the coupler at the 12 o'clock. Then with an automotive style inductive timing light, spark plugs out, wing the engine over and shine the light at the coupler. If the mark is anywhere in the vicinity of 12 O'Clock, timing is fine.
I would suggest unplugging the two wire connector going into the handlebar that has one black and one white wire in it. That is the engine stop switch. Test for spark with it unplugged then plugged in. If you loose spark when it is plugged in, there is a problem in the switch or button.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks
RSRBOB
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I kind of did some of this, what I did I stuck a screwdriver in the cylinder and brought to TDC and marked the magneto and the case with a paint pen. I also did the same for the other cylinder. I put it back together and turned over with the timing light and there was the problem. The marks were 90 degrees out..... So there was the problem... Now how to fix it...

The only thing that was bothering me was the pulser coil and the lighting coil, but mainly the lighting coil. So, maybe the orientation? Which pole hits the coil first north or south from the magnets? So I decided to give it a shot, I removed the stator and took the lighting coil off that was mounted with the wire up (facing magneto) and put it back on with the wire facing down (towards the engine). I put it back together and got the timing light out again and turned it over and the marks lined up. So now that I was sure that it would run, I put it back together and I hit the button to start it and it started and idled perfect. We will be taking it out to the river to day, but I think it will run fine, like it did before...

Thanks,

Expert:  RSRBOB replied 6 years ago.
I hope your ski runs right now. Your explanation doesn't make sense however. The lighting coil is used to charge the battery. It produces AC current and goes through a rectifier that changes AC to DC so polarity of the coil is irrelevant. It is not part of the ignition system and is not required to produce spark. The ignition system is a magneto and does not require battery voltage to run. I will accept either of two other explanations, the problem was resolved inadvertently in the process of reversing the lighting coil or you mis identified the lighting coil and charge coil. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is if the ski runs right, that was the goal and it was achieved.
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience: Former Yamaha Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Serv Mgr, G/M