Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Experience:  Multiple factory certifications 20+ years of experience.

I have a 2001 Yamaha XR1800 Jet boat. One engine is sticking

I have a 2001 Yamaha XR1800 Jet boat. One engine is sticking at like 4800 rpm and will run fine at that rpm indefinitely . You can gradually increase the throttle and nothing happens at first until you reach a certain point and then it surges way up to full rpm and runs like a bat out of hell and will also run indefinitely. When you start backing off the throttle it will not reduce the rpms in the 6k range , it will just drop back off to the upper 4k range once again. In other words you cannot run this one engine at lets say 5500 rpms. I have rebuilt the carbs, changed fuel filter, new NGK BR8ES-11 plugs, also removed cat converter and installed D-Plate and sensor chip
What can this be

you have an air leak in the carb base, spray some carb cleaner around it, if the rpm's change you need to change the gasket

also did you play around with the carb settings? and you put them back on the same way they came off?