Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I HAVE A 1985 MERCURY 50 HP OUTBOARD MOTOR. IT IDLES FINE

I HAVE A 1985 MERCURY 50 HP OUTBOARD MOTOR. IT IDLES FINE BUT HAS NO POWER. I HAVE CHECKED THE FUEL FILTER AND HAVE TRIED PUMPING THE BUBBLE ON THE FUEL LINE. I HAVE ALSO CHECKED THE THROTTLE LINKAGES AND IT LOOKS LIKE THE LINKAGE IS TRAVELING AS FAR AS IT CAN. THIS IS A 3 CLY. MOTOR WITH 2 CARBS. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT ELSE I COULD CHECK.
Welcome,
I will be happy to assist you. If you have a question or need clarification please post back at any time.
First thing is to check your compression.
Next check for good spark on all 3 cylinders
If these are OK next you want to move to the fuel system.
They used two different carbs on these engines but they are basically the same. Your carb probably has some crud in it. If the engine has been sitting then you may need to to a rebuild with new gaskets kits.
Before you do a rebuild try to locate the problem carb.
Back the boat into the water, leave it on the trailer. Warm it up, shift to forward and try to accelerate the engine, when it starts to bog put your hand over the carb and see if it picks up rpm. If it does the idle mixture needs to be richened or a carb rebuild is in order. You can richen the mixture by turning the idle mixture screw out 1/8 to 1/4 turn.
Try these and get back to me with what you find and we can work from there.
Jeff