DocToDock, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Over 20 years of Outboard and Stern Drive repair,also taught Marine and Auto repair for 13 years.

Can I replace pull cord on an old 6hp Evinrude without dissassembly

Customer Question

Can I replace pull cord on an old 6hp Evinrude without dissassembly? (I was told there is a method of winding and holding it in place) but I do not the "method"...

Category: Boat
Expert:  DocToDock replied 6 years ago.

Yes you can easily replace the rope. Pull the rope all the way out and hold. Slide both handles of a pair of pliers under the starter gear. This will keep the gear engaged to the flywheel while you change the rope. You should now be able to change the rope. One the new rope is installed pull it out to take the tension off the pliers and remove the pliers and allow the rope to rewind slowly. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It appears I didn't ask my question properly. My cord come all the way out so it seems it has no tension or wind. There is no resistance to the pulley so what I guess I really need to know is how to load the pulley and wrap the cord on once it's loaded on the spring. I have some mechanical skills, but I've never done this procedure before.

Your answer was great, I just didn't ask the question right. (Too many beers tonight I suppose) Sorry about that! I will try to ask again correctly. This is the first time I ever used a site like this so I'm kinda unsure about the money part or how to do all this here.

Thanks again.