K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  24 yrs exp. Inboard/Outboard mechanic Mercury/ Mercruiser, Volvo Penta and OMC, Johnson/Evin.
13730749

I HAVE A 1995 VOLVO PENTA SX OUTDRIVE THAT I INSTALLED A NEW

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1995 VOLVO PENTA SX OUTDRIVE THAT I INSTALLED A NEW DRIVE SHAFT U-JOINT ASSEMBLEY ON. WHEN I PUT IT BACK TOGETHER I HAVE NO OUTPUT ON THE SHAFT AT THE PROP. WHEN I REMOVE THE SHIFTER PLATE & TURN THE MOTOR OVER I SEE THE PENION GEAR TURN AND THE UPPER AND LOWER GEARS TURN. I THEN TRIED TO ENGAGE THE SLIDING SLEEVE WHERE THE DOG IN THE SHIFT MECH GOES TO ENGAGE THE OUTPUT GEAR AND STILL NOTHING. I REMOVED ONE SHIM FROM THE TOP BEARING COVER AND NOW I CAN (ENG. NOT RUNNING) PUT IT IN GEAR AND NOT TURN THE SHAFT LIKE IT ENGAGED INTO GEAR, BUT WHEN I START IT AND PUT IT IN GEAR STILL NOTHING.
Category: Boat
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 4 years ago.
That shim affects the depth of the gear mesh and its removal will cause the gears to wear faster. Your problem is most likely something to do with the shift linkage. It sounds like it doesn't travel far enough to go into gear. Have you tried shifting it manually with the engine running and the shift cable disconnected?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I have only shifted it manually with it not running but I did have the plastic housing cover off so I could see the shift mech move and it moved far enough it should be engaged all the way. That was my first thought that the shift cable not moving the shifter far enough because it has always been a little hard to shift. The cable moved the arm as far as I could move it manually without the cable.

The reason I looked at the shim under the top cover while running it with the unit all the way down there was a grinding noise, when i took the top cover off there were 2 shims one thicker than the other, i took one shim(the thin one) out and placed the cover back in place holding it by hand and the out drive gear locked into gear for the first time after reinstalling. At that point I bolted every thing back together and still same problem.

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 4 years ago.
There have been service bulletins on the shift cones for these drives. There were a series of design changes and even a change in the recommended oil viscosity. Regular gear oil will make them slip, check with a dealer for service bulletins covering your unit and the recommended oil.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The out drive had gear oil it it and I did not change the shift cone only the u-joint assembly. The same gear oil should still work I would think.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 4 years ago.
It should, unfortunately it is Sunday. I'll see what I can find out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It appears like there are some metal shavings at the shift cone. I just tried to shift it manually again and today its not going in to gear. There is a little wear on the part that goes into the "V" groove of the shift cone and the shift cone showes a little wear on the top side.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 4 years ago.
We are back to the service bulletins for your leg, find the serial number and check with the dealer. No kidding, they had lots of problems with the shifting on these units.