davesoutboard
davesoutboard, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  marina owner for 20+years, certified Evinrude tech
14632772

Boat. Evinrude. I have a 1985 35 horse evinrude boat motor.

Boat. Evinrude. I have a 1985 35 horse evinrude boat motor. It requires a pressurized tank. due to a near accident last year with the pressurized tank, I would like to convert to a non-pressurized tank with an electric fuel pump. Can I just use a low pressure gas pump and connect it to the "gas" side of the pressure tank double-hose?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 years ago.
Hi, Evinrude didn't make a 35 hp in 1985. Can you get a model number. Evinrude never a fuel system of that type. Mercury did. Thanks Tan
Expert:  davesoutboard replied 4 years ago.

HI

I believe you just got the year wrong on your 35 Evinrude made lots of pressurized fuel systems in the 50s. I would not recommend using an electric pump. I doubt that the carb would function correctly with that much fuel pressure. What was the problem with the original system. It did work very good.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. The tank was red, and you pumped a ball on the line to get pressure built in the tank. Someone left the tank (still in the boat) in the sun without loosening relief valve. It exploded ... gas everywhere. Is this not a pressurized tank? Motor is much newer than the 50's. Anyway, thought it would be nice to have gas gauge with sending unit with whatever I get to replace that tank now. Don't think the same type of tank would allow for installation of sending unit.
OK, what you are doing when you pump the gas bulb is suck fuel out of the tank and into the engine. You are not supposed to be building pressure in that tank. They used to use a system that was similar to that way back. If the tank exploded it was a defect in the tank. It is supposed to be self venting, either the tank or the cap depending on the style. Your engine has a fuel pump and there would be no reason to add an electric pump.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So if no pressure is supposed to be in the tank, I can probably fabricate a sending unit anyway I want into any tank? I was worried that the tank needed to keep pressure and was afraid I would not be able to seal a sending unit well enough. By the way I will definitely accept your answer(s). Great job.

Yes you could put some kind of fuel gauge in the tank if needed.

davesoutboard, Marine Mechanic
Experience: marina owner for 20+years, certified Evinrude tech