Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

my volvo penta inboard engine keeps overheating. impeller completely

my volvo penta inboard engine keeps overheating. impeller completely burnt out. I put in new impeller but problem has not been solved. water not reaching risers.
Hi, When you replaced the impeller did you get all the pieces of the old impeller? On the sea water pump are the tubes that the hoses attach to plastic?Thanks Tan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes got all the pieces from the old impeller. pump is working excellently. somehow there's a blockage to the risers.
Brooks
Pull the hoses on the front of the exhaust manifold off and check your water flow.If your water flow is good remove riser and check for blockage in the water passages. If you are in salt water the risers should be replaced at 350 to 400 hrs. or 3 years. Thanks click "Accept" button. Post back with questions. Tan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
boat is used in salt water. went out one day. boat worked fine. came back in and put boat on lift for about two weeks. didn't get a chance to flush engine with salt water.
put it back in water and started up engine. overheated in a matter of minutes.could risers be rusted out on the inside?
Brooks
Yes when the engine is shut off the water drains out of the risers exposing them to the air and causing them to rust. The rust flakes off and blocks the water passages and causing over heating. Thanks Tan