John White
John White, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  11 years experience working on outboards, inboards, sterndrives & pwcs
23458099

I have a 1978 tr mercruiser mcm-d transmision the reverce ring

I have a 1978 tr mercruiser mcm-d transmision the reverce ring came off. I removed the traney and reinstalled the ring ! what i need to know is the seting of the set screw on out side of tranney for the reverce ring?
The adjustment screw for the reverse band should be torqued to 120 lbs in. After adjusting back off the screw 1-3/4 turns and tighten the jam nut. Crank the engine on the water hose or in the water and shift the transmission from neutral to forward, then back to neutral and into reverse. Shift it several times like this then shut the engine back off. Re-adjust the reverse band to 120 lbs in and back off 1-3/4 turns again.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when i tighten the spline will no longer move? is this ok? if so i will install trans and follow your advice thank you!
Does it stay locked down once you back off on the adjustment screw the 1-3/4 turns?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
NO IT FREES UP! I AM GOING TO INSTALL AND TEST! THANK YOU!!
Sounds good, just let me know how it goes.