Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a seadoo xp limited edition 1999 model with 135hp/951cc

Customer Question

I have a seadoo xp limited edition 1999 model with 135hp/951cc Rotax motor, I only just got it and have been out on the water twice and now it wont start. At first I thought it was low on fuel then i tried charging the battery, have cleaned the fuel filter and now i think its something to do with the fuel pump as it doesn't seem to be getting any fuel through the filter and back to the carburitor. what can you suggest to remedy the problem?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 years ago.

Check to see if you are getting fuel to fuel pump. The easiest way is put your mouth on the fuel line and suck on it till you get fuel. Watch out you may get a mouth full of fuel ,if you don't want fuel in your mouth you will have to find a pump to do the job. If you have fuel you need a fuel pump, if no fuel you have blockage between pump and fuel tank. Thank You Tan click "Accept" button feedback is appreciated.

Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience: 40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Tan,

If I somehow managed to run the seadoo dry(ran it too low on fuel) would this be my problem? If i need a new pump what cost would it be on average to replace? Also when i cleaned out the fuel filter there was a little bit of impurities laying on the bottom of the fuel filter cap is this common problem. And finally how many hours between servicing the seadoo. Cheers XXXXX XXXXX your help

Expert:  Tan replied 6 years ago.
Yes very possible, under $50.00,yes your filter is doing its job, once a year or every 100 hrs which ever comes first. Thank You Tan let me no if i can be of further assistance.
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 6 years ago.
I would just like to add that.
The filter you checked is just a water separator. The final filter before the fuel goes from the fuel pump through the bodies of the carburetors is built into each carburetor.
They are Really tiny and they plug up easily. Since you found some gunk in the large separator bowl then you can guarantee there is more junk in the carbs starving them.
Also note. The fuel pump is a built-in part of the carburetor. If you buy a rebuild kit it will service only one carb. and you have two on your ski. Each rebuild kit can be bought for around $40 per kit.
Here's a breakdown of your carbs... #22 is the tiny filter that needs cleaned out.

graphic