John White
John White, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  11 years experience working on outboards, inboards, sterndrives & pwcs
23458099

I HAVE 1998 25 HP MERCURY 2 STROKE ,NEED TO KNOW HOW TO DISCONNECT

Customer Question

I HAVE 1998 25 HP MERCURY 2 STROKE ,NEED TO KNOW HOW TO DISCONNECT SHIFT ROD
IN ORDER TO REMOVE LOWER UNIT FOR WATERPUMP REPLACEMENT

THANKS PAT BUHLER
Category: Boat
Expert:  John White replied 4 years ago.

If you can, get me the serial number off the motor. The picture below will show you where to find this number. I just want to make sure I'm looking at the correct shift linkage for your motor.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
give me 3minutes to get the number
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the serial is og683782

motor is 25 eh

The shift linkage disconnect point will be towards the front of the powerhead, below and just behind the carburetor. There is a small clip, number 6 in the picture below. Just unclip it and pull back on it to disengage it from the shift shaft. You may need to move the shifter to see and access the clip.

graphic

There are a couple of things you have to watch out for on this engine. The shift shaft has a washer on it, number 30 in the first picture below. Don't lose it as it is used so the shift shaft can engage and move the reverse lock linkage rod, number 1 in the second picture below. When putting the gearcase back on make sure the washer is in place and that the shift rod goes through the loop in the linkage rod. Just let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
john icannot view the break down they we have server error
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do i have to remove the carb to access this clip?

i do have the breakdown on the screen now

No, you shouldn't need to remove the carburetor. It's a pretty tight fit in there so you may need to use some needle nose plyers if you can't seem to get your hands or fingers in there. Just pry the clip loose then use the needle nose plyers to grab it and pull it out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
one more question when the clip is removed the lower unit will drop down so is the only thing holding up the lower unit the shift rod will come out with lower unit
I would recommend putting a bolt or two back in the gearcase to hold it in place. That way when you take the shift shaft loose the whole gearcase doesn't just fall off and risk breaking something. Once the shift shaft is disconnected you can remove the bolt or bolts again and slide the gearcase off.
John White, Marine Mechanic
Experience: 11 years experience working on outboards, inboards, sterndrives & pwcs
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks will try to do this job tomorrow will let you know if i need more help on this

project

pat

Not a problem, I'll be around so if you run into any problems or have more questions just come back to this question. Add the question page to your favorites or keep one of the emails with the link. This way you can get back if needed and won't have to make another deposit.