John White
John White, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  11 years experience working on outboards, inboards, sterndrives & pwcs

I need to know how to wire a new key ignition switch for my

I need to know how to wire a new key ignition switch for my 1979 mercury 80 hp outboard motor with a side push button choke.
Category: Boat
Expert:  John White replied 4 years ago.
What type of switch did you get, does it have screw terminals on the back or wires coming out of the back. If screw terminals how many and they should be labeled with letters, let me know which letters you have. If wires coming out of the back let me know what colors.

Edited by XXXXX XXXXX on 11/29/2009 at 5:18 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

motor is a mercury

I know the wiring colors for the mercury wiring harness, but I need to know what type of ignition switch you are working with. Name brand doesn't matter, just whether it uses screw terminals or has wires coming out of the back.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it has screw terminals 4 of them ign., bat., acc., grnd.

Give me 20-30 minutes to write everything up and I'll have your answer posted.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you if you could send a drawn picture or schematic anything would help.

If the ignition switch you have only has 4 terminals it won't work for your Mercury outboard. The switch you have would work for cranking the engine, but when it came time to turn the engine off it wouldn't do it. You will need an ignition switch with a magneto circuit. The links below will take you to two ignition switches that would work with your motor. You don't have to buy these exact switches, but this is the style of switch you should be looking for. Below each link is the instructions for wiring that particular switch to your wiring harness. If any wire colors are missing or you have different wire colors just let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220237998943&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=a2d9e2211220a06c6d537863ffff94be&rvr_id=&ua=WVI7&itemid=220237998943

If you look on the back of the ignition switch there will be 6 terminals labeled B-I-S-M-M-C. There will also be an A label, but this is for the blank terminal and isn't used.

Switch Terminal Translation

B = Battery
I = Ignition
S = Start

M = Magneto

C = Choke

Wire Color To Switch Terminal
Red - Connect to B terminal

White - Connect to I terminal (may be more than 1 wire)

Yellow - Connect to S terminal (should be coming from safety neutral switch in control box)

Black - Connect to M terminal (may be more than 1 wire)

Orange or Salmon - Connect to other M terminal

This ignition switch has a "C" terminal for push to choke. Since you already have a choke switch you can leave the terminal blank and leave your choke switch as it is. If for some reason now or later you want to switch over to choke from the ignition switch do as follows:

Disconnect the gray wire going to the choke switch and connect it to the "C" terminal on the ignition switch. If you plan to leave the choke switch in place you can leave it as is. If you plan to remove the choke switch completely then disconnect the white wire between the ignition switch and choke switch. Any other white wires connected to the choke switch would be connected to the "I" terminal on the ignition switch.

It is preferred to coat the terminals and connections with some form of protection. A good product to use is liquid electrical tape. This can be purchased at any auto parts, electronics, hardware or home improvement store.

https://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-16836-seadog-3-position-ignition-switch-mercury-420383-1.aspx

This ignition switch already has wires so you will need to solder wires together and use heat shrink or use crimp terminals with heat shrink. Crimp terminals and heat shrink can be purchased at any automotive or electronics store.

Wire Color From Ignition Switch to Wire Color From Wiring Harness

Red - Connect to Red

Purple - Connect to White (may be more than 1 wire)

Yellow w/ Red stripe - Connect to Yellow (should be coming from safety neutral switch in control box)

Black - Connect to Black (may be more than 1 wire)

Black w/ Yellow Stripe - Connect to Salmon or Orange

This ignition switch also has for push to choke circuit. Since you already have a choke switch you can leave your choke switch as it is. Tape the Yellow w/ Black stripe wire up so it can't arch off anything if you accidentally push in on the ignition switch. If for some reason now or later you want to switch over to choke from the ignition switch do as follows:

Disconnect the gray wire going to the choke switch and connect it to the Yellow w/ Black stripe wire coming from the ignition switch. If you plan to leave the choke switch in place you can leave it as is. If you plan to remove the choke switch completely then disconnect the white wire between the ignition switch and choke switch. Any other white wires connected to the choke switch would be connected to the purple wire coming from the ignition switch.

Edited by XXXXX XXXXX on 11/29/2009 at 6:11 AM EST
John White, Marine Mechanic
Experience: 11 years experience working on outboards, inboards, sterndrives & pwcs