shane j forrest
shane j forrest, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  20 years experience merc,volvo,omc

I have an Evinrude XP 150, 1990 model year with about 200 hours

I have an Evinrude XP 150, 1990 model year with about 200 hours of service.
The engine is on a 1992 Ranger boat. Recently my tachometer started acting up working then not working, finally it has completely died.
Wiring to the tach is good, I have a good ground and 12V when I switch the key on. As it always did, when I switch the key "on" the tach needle drops to "0". But it just doesn't work anymore.
Before I buy a new 7000 RPM tach, I want to make sure it is not something else that is the problem. I've been told that it's my rectifier but I'm not sure I have a rectifer. Is the 1990 XP 150 a 9amp or 35am charging system? My clymers manual shows the the 35 amp system with a regulator but not a rectifier.
My OMC engine information that came with the unit when I bought it new does not say anything about it.
Just looking for some ideas on what to do.
Also, seems like the charging system is working ok, as I have not had a low battery problem.
Category: Boat
Expert:  shane j forrest replied 6 years ago.
Do you have a serial number on your engine.?
Sorry a model number would be better.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't have the serial number with me and I'm at work.

The earliest I can get a serial number is XXXXX evening in about 3 1/2 hours from now.

Thats ok i found out the information.On the 150 evinrude the the regulator and rectifier are one in the same. The rectifier portion is what sends the signal to the tachometer. If you have a good power and ground to the tachometer chances are very good that the regulator/rectifier are bad.This is not an uncommon problem.