Master Tech
Master Tech, Marine Technician
Experience:  Evinrude Master Technician with 30 years of experience.

I have a Evinrude E-tec 225 HO it has been giving me problems

Customer Question

I have a Evinrude E-tec 225 HO it has been giving me problems runs about 4-5 miles and then just dies wont crank back up until it cools back down them it will start idles fine try totake off and it skips and runs rough until it heats up again and dies. Any help it is almost like it is Vapor locked. Have carried to 2 different Dealers and still not fixed wont act up in the tank. But every time I take it to the lake here we go again.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Master Tech replied 7 years ago.

Is the engine still in the warranty period?

I have a few suggestions for you if you are willing to give it a try...

• Does the fuel primer bulb get soft when this occurs?
  • Does it get sucked flat?
  • Does squeezing it help the situation?
  • Bring a timing light out with you and once the engine dies see if you have spark on any and all of the plug leads while cranking the engine.

If you have no spark when the engine quits you could try a new crank position sensor and have the dealer warranty it if it corrects the problem.

Please let me know what you find after trying the above items mentioned

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ONLY after the engine has cooled down will it start. Initially it will go about 4-5 miles then after that it will idle but wont get up on plane........... The plugs have all been indexed and checked by a Evinrude Service center, Fuel Filter has been replaced. The dealer said the Ranger Electronic Starting board was faulty and I installed the manual key switch it didn't matter. Did the same thing. I have supposedly a state of the art E-TEC engine and I hate it. Of coarse it is out of warranty the engine was checked and there are no alarms showing up on the computer. I have been to 2 dealers in the last month told it was fixed by both and only to break down on the lake. I have a 50 grand bass boat that only runswith a trolling motor.
What is your engine serial number? I will look up the engine history for you. Perhaps a call to the Evinrude customer service number might be helpful.