Marc C. Albertson
Marc C. Albertson, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Factory Certified in Outboard/Sterndrive Technology since 1997. Marine Service Tech. since 1988

I am taking my hubs off my little dude boat trailer for the

I am taking my hubs off my little dude boat trailer for the first time in many years. I got the dust cap off, the cotter pin out, the nut off, and the outer bearing off. I cant pull the hub off the axle. Is there another cover over the back of the hub? How can I pull off the hub.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Marc C. Albertson replied 7 years ago.
The inner bearing is stuck on the spindle. Use a heavy rubber or leather mallet and knock the hub off. This will pop the grease seal out of the hub and probably damage it but it will allow you to polish the spindle to get the bearing off. The seal should be replaced anyway.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
where/what is the grease seal? is it part of the inner bearing? I happ[y to hear that I should knock the hub off with a rubber mallet. I just wasn't sure about that.
The grease seal is pressed into the hub after the inner race and bearing are installed in the hub. Once you get the hub off you`ll see the grease seal on the spindle next to the bearing.