Abiorca
Abiorca, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Over a 15 years of working on all the brands of outboards.
11224350

How do I change the impeller on a 25 Hp. Mariner outboard

Customer Question

How do I change the impeller on a 25 Hp. Mariner outboard ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Abiorca replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer
what is the age model and serial f known please.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Approx. 1995 serial # XXXXX
Expert:  Abiorca replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer
Thankyou, the proceedure for removal is as follows :
under the carb on the right hand side when looking at the engine from inside boat you will see a clip the needs removing this releases the gear shift rod from the gearbox, (see picture)
about half way down the engine you will notice a clamp assembly which moves the clamp up and down that stops the engine from lifting this needs removing its usually held on with a cross head bolt and nut,
then remove all the bolts on the gearbox should only be four but there may be one hidden under the trim tab anode above the prop(all items marked in red need removing), the gearbox will now lower and give you access to the water pump housing, remove the four bolts holding the housing and remove it which will give you access to the impeller, if the impeller doesnt slide up over the drive shaft easily just use some wire wool or wet and dry sand paper to clean the driveshaft, reassembly is reverse instructions, always worth takingpictures with your digital camera as a reminder of where everything goes.
graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
In reference to the info you sent me regarding procecedure to replace impeller on 25hp mariner, I have no "clip" under the carb to remove. Most likely problem is this is an older engine. Can you research further and find a different removal pattern.???????????? I Will be standing by.     Customer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
     IN reference to the info you sent me regarding to replace impeller on 25 hp mariner. I have no clip under the carb to remove. Most likely problem is this is an older engine. Can you research futher and find a different removal pattern .
Expert:  Abiorca replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomerApologies for the tardy reply I am uk based and am currently relocating business premises and have been tied up all day,
Ok with regards XXXXX XXXXX engine they only did two types on the 25 one just slides off splines inside the gearbox and would become evident when you undo the gearbox as it will just slide off and the other is the type I mention, is yours electric start by any chance? If so the starter may need removing to gain access to the clip which is either a lever or a "C" clip it has usually been painted and is quite a pain to see, if you could send a picture of the engine?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Orcamarine.

AFFIRMATIVE ON THE ELECTRIC STARTER, SEE WHAT YOU MEAN, THANX FOR EVERYTHING, FROM ACCROSS THE POND.
                                       LADIE IN HAT
Expert:  Abiorca replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer
Ok remove the starter and hopefully the clip will become evident, please ensure that the battery is disconnected before you start removing to avoid inadvertant sparks and possible injury,
I am not so sure that we are across the pond or in it! We have had good weather for all of 3 weeks so far this summer otherwise its rain! Think I may start a scuba business instead Laughing