Jason Forsberg
Jason Forsberg, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  5 years experiece yamaha mechanic with knowledgeof all outboards
18810180

I have a 2007 Suzuki DF6 outboard. Dealer info shows a small

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Suzuki DF6 outboard.
Dealer info shows a small cylindical device to be used to flush the engine
WITHOUT running the engine. Further, the dealer brochure indicates that
this device is to be connected to the "gear box". This is both incorrect
and impossible. It is to be connected under the power head. I do not
understand how this can totally flush the engine water pump etc., located
at the bottom of the lower leg.
Is there a flushing attachment available which covers the water intake
grill located on the underside of the cavitaion plate. My dealer in contact
with Suzuki indicated such an accessory is not availible from Suzuki.

Are you aware of such an accessory in the aftermarket?

With proper care in custom fabrication, is it possible to flush the engine in the manner of "earmuffs" with most outboards and I/O units with such a device..
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason Forsberg replied 5 years ago.
there should be three visible screws in the gearcase, one on the bottom to drain the oil, one on top to vent the gearcase when filling and draining and one beside the top one that is the flushing adapter port, here is a picture of the adapter
graphicthis screws into that port and is a direct feed to the water pump but you also have to cover the intake screen( duct tape works well) in order for proper pickup of water.
Jason Forsberg, Marine Mechanic
Experience: 5 years experiece yamaha mechanic with knowledgeof all outboards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The answer given is incorrect for the Suzuki DF6 (2007) outboard.

The motor has been examined and there is no access port in the

gear case. A new unit was also examined with the same result,

no access for flushing a running motor. Access as described was

found on a 9.9 HP and a 15 HP motor.

If I can figure out how to send this reply and accept the answer even

though incorrect, I will do so.

i stand corrected. the info i found on the 6hp was definetly incorrect as i had one come into my shop today, the only flushing is done by removing the pilot water inspection tube and using the adapter there. that will only flush the power head cooling passages, in order to flush using the water pump it would need to be run in a bucket.