FieldServiceTech
FieldServiceTech, Mechanic
Experience:  19 years boating and outboard motor experience
17148034

I have a 1960 Mercury 45 hp outboard motor, model MERC 400

Customer Question

I have a 1960 Mercury 45 hp outboard motor, model MERC 400 (E),
can anyone help me find a blow up view of the lower unit ?
I need to disassemble the " transmission " to get to the lower unit housing welded & then reassemble the "transmission" . I don't know the proper term, so I'm calling it a transmission.
Category: Boat
Expert:  FieldServiceTech replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using justanswer,

I can help you here. I have attached an illustrated parts breakdown of your lower unit below. To save the pictures, just 'right-click' on them and then click 'save target as', select a location on your computer and you can then open them from there. You can also just click the pictures and view them in this window.

graphic

graphic

Hope this helped,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are there any specialty tools needed for removal of the propellar shaft & other parts (gears,etc) ? Also, do you have the list of parts that correspond with the #'s on the diagrams ?

When you take the prop off, you'll see a large nut that is threaded into the lower unit, I think it is item number 71 on the picture. You will need to either purchase a wrench or manufacture a tool to remove this nut. Other than that, there are no special tools required for disassembly.

The link below will take you to the parts that correspond to the picture.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/400%20(2%20CYL.)/parts.html

Hope this helped,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I should've remembered to give you the serial #, I think this is the wrong motor
I have a 1960 Merc 400 (E) 4cyl
serial #(NNN) NNN-NNNN

No problem,

Here's the correct link for your motor.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/400/parts.html

Sadly, there isn't a parts breakdown for this lower unit. You can use the breakdown from the 2 cylinder that I sent you before to show you how the lower unit comes apart as the lowers on both the 400's merc made should be very similiar if not the same. The part numbers differ though depending on the model.

There is a number on the site to order by phone. Give them a call and they may be able to send the correct parts breakdown to you.(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Hope this helped,

***Remember, the experts do NOT get paid for their time unless you ACCEPT the answer***