Captain Dave
Captain Dave, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  USCG Licensed Captain, 20+ Years Boating, Fishing, Maintenance and Repair Experience
4585472

I just bought a 1983 lund tyee 5.3 from an older gentleman

I just bought a 1983 lund tyee 5.3 from an older gentleman who throughout the years diddled with the wiring on his boat to a point of obsurdity. I think age has crept up with him and he doesn't remember how he changed it and several component don't work, like the livewell and gas guage etc. and now that I have the boat I want to rewire the connections/repair what needs to be repaired and be able to understand where the wires go and why.   Do you know where I could get a wiring diagram for the 1983 lund tyee 5.3?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Captain Dave replied 7 years ago.
Hello. I'm afraid there is almost no chance of finding such a wiring diagram, and based on what you have said it probably bears little relationship to what is there now anyway. Your best approach will be to trace each circuit, label as you go, remove old "dead" wiring, and run new wire where necessary. You will need a multimeter and probably a 12v test light will be useful, and I have found aincredibly useful device that allows you to trace a wire at any point in it's run without breaking the insulation - I'm not sure what it's called, but I bought mine at Lowes and it consists of two parts: a "transmitter" that connects to one end (or anywhere you can connect) of a circuit or wire, and a probe that you use to find the other end. The probe emits a sound as it gets close to the wire you are tracing, and you can set the sensitivity so you can zero in on a single wire in a bundle. Very useful, and I think it cost around $30. Remember that most boat circuits are simple +/- 12v with a switch and maybe a fuse/breaker; nothing more fancy so they should be easy to trace.