briggs archer
briggs archer, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  30 years professional marine mechanic=skilled in all phases of the marine service industry.

cooling system problem with 5.0 GI volvo penta SX outdrive,

cooling system problem with 5.0 GI volvo penta SX outdrive, does it have an impeller in the outdrive?
Category: Boat
Expert:  briggs archer replied 7 years ago.
Hi! No sir. The pump impeller is located on the front of the engine. It's round with two hoses connected to it. Four screws hold a round plate. Impeller is behind it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK I saw that. I used to work for a speed and marine shop and I was an old hotrodder so I can probably handle this work, but info is everything. It has a audible sound alarm that is now sounding off as I was preparing for the summer. It started OK-ran it to warm engine, I changed the oil and filter and when I started it again, I noticed that no water was coming from the prop, then it sounded its alarm, and it has a rev limiter device which kicked in also. I had this happen in the past (its a 2000 larson) but I saw pieces of the impeller in the intake holes which are not present this time. Could it be anything else other than the impeller or water pump? Where should I start to keep my cost down
It could several things. Start with the Impeller. With hoses removed from pump flush from drive inlet to pump.And flush hose from"T" stat housing to pump to remove any pieces of old impeller.NOTE; some could be loged in"T"stat housing.Do this first.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK I'll go with that, thanks for your help