briggs archer
briggs archer, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  30 years professional marine mechanic=skilled in all phases of the marine service industry.

I own a 1988 1710 Bayliner (Trophy) with a built in gas tank.

I own a 1988 1710 Bayliner (Trophy) with a built in gas tank. Appears tank is leaking fuel. How can I be certain? If tank is leaking, how do I remove it for replacement/repair?
Category: Boat
Expert:  briggs archer replied 7 years ago.
Hi ! If you can smell gas and it is in the bilge,it most likely is leaking. Is the tank aluminum or plastic?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I thought so. Aluminum tanks can, in time, corrode on the bottom. Especially if water lies under tank. Also, possible is a flaw in the bed could have worn the tank through. The ONLY way to check for leaks is to remove ALL of the fuel.Plug fuel fill hose. Close valve on pick up line(if tank has it) or just plug hose that goes to fuel filter. Remove vent hose at vent. Use this hose to presserize tank.4-5lbs is nominal may need more.Listen for air. A long skinny screwdriver held to tank and to your ear will help. If fuel line and filter do not leak,tank IS leaking. To remove tank is a major undertaking. The deck WILL have to be cut out at tank area.