Ask Pappy's Sales and Service Your O...
Pappy's Sales and Service
Pappy's Sales and Service, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Certified Technician Mercruiser Mariner Mercury Johnson Evinrude & business owner
9984424

I have a 1988 21 SeaRay Seville with a 4.3LX/V6 Alpha One

Customer Question

I have a 1988 21' SeaRay Seville with a 4.3LX/V6 Alpha One - Two freeze plugs popped during the winter - what is the best way to replace new plugs? Specific items to remove, or process to follow? Thank You
Category: Boat
Expert:  Pappy's Sales and Service replied 7 years ago.
Hello.. You can take one of the old plugs to a auto parts store and match it to a expandable rubber plug. It has a nut in the center of it that makes it expand and hold in place. The bad news is if you have 2 plugs out, that motor is most likely shot. The 4.3 engines have very thin castings in the lifter valley area and this is the first place they crack when frozen.