Yachtwork
Yachtwork, Marine Engineer
Experience:  MEC3 and RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
10951514

hello,i just bought a boat ,it has a detroit diesel 453,in

Customer Question

hello,i just bought a boat ,it has a detroit diesel 453,in her ,well half of it ,the rest is rusted out,so my question is ,i need to put in another engine ,it has to be the size of the 453 ,or smaller would be better ,the space i got the 453 fills up ,so a engine bigger in size than the 453 will not fit ,i need a complete engine ,power over 100 hp upwards ,so what other engines can i look to buy to replace this 453 .
Category: Boat
Expert:  Yachtwork replied 5 years ago.
CustomerGreetigns. The 453 non turbo was 100 hp, so be sure you did not have a turbo before making the decisions.

So, the Yanmar 4JH4-DTE or HTE would be a fine replacement at about 18,000. Simple easy and quiet.

Now, lets not give up on the 453 just yet. They were a great engine and can be bought all day long for about a thousand dollars military surpluss, with 2000 hrs on them. You can find these deals by searching Boats and Harbors, a yellow looking newspaper looking magazine.

So, two good options. Lots of money to spend? Nothing beats the Yanmar 4JH4-HTE OR DTE. Not a lot of money to spend another 453.

Now one thing about the 53 series is they were loud. Well, the engine was not that loud, the air intake was that loud. If you re-install a 53 series you can rout the air intake to the back of the boat through 4" pvc pipe wrapped in silenceing materile. This will help break the "Jimmy whine".

One more thoughts when the time comes, years from now to rebuild the Yanmar or th GMC you'll find the Yanmar rebuild is pretty much the same price as a new engine, but hte GMC has in frame rebuild kits that cost less than a thousand dollars for the complete kit. This is why fishboats the world over love these engines.

Cheer and thanks for clicking accpet so the computer will pay us.

Scott
Yachtwork, Marine Engineer
Experience: MEC3 and RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you ,i was looking this one ,its 6200 dollars ,so is this a good deal ,i will also cheack out the yellow to see about the 453.
new Yanmar Marine Diesel Engine 125 HP 4JH3-DTE. This engine was bought for a major oil company for a project that was canceled. Comes complete with manuals, Instrument panel model 119175-91163YA, wiring harness, coolant bottle, motor mounts, and coolant bottle. Please click on the link below before you bid.
http://www.mareng.com.au/yanmar/jh3_shaftdrive.html#

thanks again ,
have a nice day.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you ,i was looking this one ,its 6200 dollars ,so is this a good deal ,i will also cheack out the yellow to see about the 453. new Yanmar Marine Diesel Engine 125 HP 4JH3-DTE. This engine was bought for a major oil company for a project that was canceled. Comes complete with manuals, Instrument panel model 119175-91163YA, wiring harness, coolant bottle, motor mounts, and coolant bottle. Please click on the link below before you bid. http://www.mareng.com.au/yanmar/jh3_shaftdrive.html# thanks again , have a nice day.
Expert:  Yachtwork replied 5 years ago.
CustomerWow, if you can buy a 4JH3-DTE for 6200 I would buy that today. No question. That is a great deal and all in all you would be much happier with the Yanmar.

Thanks for the accept and thanks for leaving return positive feedback.

Scott
Expert:  Yachtwork replied 5 years ago.
A couple things on that Yanmar. First is it is bobtail. That means no gearbox, but this might be a good thing as you can buy a gearbox to match your old prop. If your 453 was Detroit maranised then it's left hand drive and the Yanmar will be right hand drive so you'll end up buying a new prop anyway.

Second the felxable engine mounts will have a number on the side of them. 200 or 250 or 150 etc. When you install each mount has a corosponding corner of hte engine they fit. For some reason Yanmar never mentions this and the mounts get put all over the place in the worng positons making the engine shaks. So if you buy the engine be sure to verify what corner each mount goes in.

This looks like a great deal, and new/used Yanmar's very rarely come on the market.

We make a second alternator kit for these engines if you find you want more charge than the 80 amp standard alternator.

Cheers
Scott