ROCKET
ROCKET, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON BOATS OVER 25 YEARS

trying to figure out why my trim wont work...dont have power

trying to figure out why my trim won't work...don't have power to the motor and I was looking for the 50 amp fuse and I was wondering if it's on top mounted on a bracket or if that is a difffernet fuse. i have a volvo penta 4.3 GL
Category: Boat
Expert:  ROCKET replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JA

Whatt you want to do is use a test light to see if your getting power to the plug
I have seen the plugs not make a good connection
yes that 50amp is the breaker
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Im not getting power to the plug at all and tried to even take a jumper wire straight from the battery to the motor plug and still nothing...where is the CB located, is it on the top side right next to the wire harness? It has to be still farther back.

thx,

Don

Expert:  ROCKET replied 5 years ago.
it is under the box
it should be tha 50 amp
you need to remove the box and test for 12v in there
i have seen the breaker go bad also
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what box are you referring to? tHe only 50 amp CB i see is right in the middle of the engine located on a bracket right next to the wire harness plug...Do you think this is the one?

Don

Expert:  ROCKET replied 5 years ago.
yes
but use the test light to make sure
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have already used the test light too and nothing
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
again, what box are you referring to?
Expert:  ROCKET replied 5 years ago.
not really a box but a cover where the motor harness goes into
that should house the circut breaker
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know exactlly where you talking about. How do you actually chage the CB any idea...I cant even push the CB in or anything, does that sound normal.
Expert:  ROCKET replied 5 years ago.
yes, it will only pop out if tripped
see if your getting volts to it, then out of it
follow the wires to the trim pump and check all connections
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
should there be power to the backside of the cb at all times...the cb won't even push in or even move
Expert:  ROCKET replied 5 years ago.
yes power on the red wires
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i have power on one side and the CB is about 1'2 stricking out, if it was in do you thnk i would see that much of the breaker. Also, I only have power one side of the cb and not the other...does that sound like a bad C/B to you? I actually heard a few clicks when i went to up...would i still here the clicks if the CB was bad?

thx,

Don

Expert:  ROCKET replied 5 years ago.
well if it can not be pushed back in, i would say it is bad
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if i here it clicking at the motor, does that mean the CB would be ok...I'm starting to here the motor click a few times when I go to up...I wonder if i have a bad motor and CB
Expert:  ROCKET replied 5 years ago.
here here the motor click or the relays clicking?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the realys clicking...would the relays click if the CB was bad?
Expert:  ROCKET replied 5 years ago.
if relays are clicking then you know you have power to the trim motor
if you apply 12v to green and negitive to blue, outdrive will go down. vise-verse will go up
you also have a 15amp fuse right at the trim pump

sorry for the delay, was out to dinner
ROCKET, Marine Mechanic
Experience: I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON BOATS OVER 25 YEARS