Michael
Michael, Master Mechanic
Experience:  Over 25 years experience working on everything from PWC's to Mega Yachts
6854667

I need to remove the Shifter/Throttle remote control (Sea Ray

Customer Question

I need to remove the Shifter/Throttle remote control (Sea Ray P/N 131458) from the right side panel on my 1993 EC 250 so I can repair the side panel. Can you tell me how to remove the remote control.
Thanks for you help
Category: Boat
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for being patient.. I was trying to find a good diagram of your remote control but it's not necessary, I can tell you how to remove it from memory as I have done quite a few..

First, if there is a rubber cap covering the center button on the controller, remove it and turn the little plastic button counter clockwise.... if it just spins (like I think it does) you need to use a screwdriver and gently pry it straight out.

Next, remove the set screw at the base of the control handle, I think you need to shift the control handle to full forward or full reverse to line up an access notch in the handle base in order to get to the set screw.

Now, you have to access the back of the controller by removing whatever panels necesarry so that you can get back there and unplug the trim/tilt switch wires that come thru the center the control handle and out behind the panel. they should have plug connectors behind the panel near the control box. You will also need to unplug the two yellow neutral safety switch wires from the back of the control too.

With the trim/tilt switch wires unpluged, gently slide the control handle off the shaft and the wires will come with it.

Once the handle is off, remove the plastic plate that covers the mounting bolts (should be four) .. use a large phillips screwdriver and a 7/16 box end or socket for the nut on the back side.

After the four mounting bolts are removed the control base will come out through the back of the panel and then you can manipulate to where you can disconnect the two control cables.

Remove the cable anchors and cable ends and the control base will be free to come out. You may have to fit the handle on to shift the control to where the pins will come out from the cable ends.

Just reverse these directions for the installation and let me know if anything is unclear or you need any additional asistance.

NOTE: If your boat has an Alpha drive... it's not recommended to shift the control with out the prop turning. If you can find an assistant to turn the prop while you shift the control handle it is much easier on the shift cable and mechanisms.

Regards,

Michael
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Michael
I have the shift disengage button off, but I can not tell what the setscrew takes to loosen it. I have tried every decimal and metric hex wrench I have and none have worked. Looking at it with a mirror and flashlight I cannot tell what kind of setscrew it is.

Edward Storck

Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
Hi Edward,

The set screw is a small allen screw (standard) but I'm not sure of the size. I think you need to use the long side of an allen key to get in there. Are you seeing the the notch in the handle that lines up with the screw when you shift it? You should be able to reach it with a regular single allen key.
Reply back if you're still having trouble and I will keep looking for a diagram for you.

Regards,

Michael
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Michael

The contol I have can be viewed at http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=4200091A&ivar=images/QS/42000.91A/19.png&inbr=1989&bnbr=100&bdesc=REMOTE+CONTROL+ASSY

There are several positions of the shifter where I can access the setscrew but I was unable to get any of the hex wrenches to seat in the setsrew. Can you tell me the approximate size of the hex I need and I will drive to the boat and try again.

Ed
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
Hi Ed,
I couldn't find the actual size but can you see it with a light? I/m curious if it has been changed out with something different.... It shouldn't be that hard to fit a allen key if that's what it is.

Let me know if you are still having trouble and I will try and help you from where you are at.

Michael
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Michael

Thanks for your help. When I looked up in the hole for the setscrew I could not see anything that looked like a hex or anything else just a round hole. I work in aviation electronics so I deal with setscrews all the time but this baffles me. Maybe someone in the past has stripped it out. If your sure it should be a hex I will buy a new screw and drill the old one and use an easy out to remove it.

Thanks again for your help

Ed
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
Hi Ed,
I guess it's possible that it is missing or someone replaced it with a straight slot set screw. You can see the set screw (16) in your diagram. Have you tried to coax the handle off? It's on a splined shaft so it could stay on without the screw in place.

I hope this helps you,

Michael
Michael, Master Mechanic
Experience: Over 25 years experience working on everything from PWC's to Mega Yachts
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Michael

Thanks again for your help. I was able to remove the control today. The reason I couldn't see the setscrew was the shifter had to be in full reverse and when it was the trim switch wires were in front of the setscrew. I moved them out of the way with the hex wrench and was then able to loosen the setscrew. For future reference it was a 5/32 hex.

Thanks again

Ed
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
I'm glad you got it off Ed.... I did mention in my original post that you need to have the handle in full forward or full reverse to see the set screw so I was assuming that you were there.. sorry.

Thanks again,

Michael
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Today was the first time I have been able to get back to the boat since my original question and it was your suggestion that made me try full reverse even though the wires were in the way, so thanks again.

Ed