davesoutboard
davesoutboard, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  marina owner for 20+years, certified Evinrude tech
14632772

i have a volvo penta 5.8 liter efi engine.when i start the

i have a volvo penta 5.8 liter efi engine.when i start the engine it runs and sounds fine but dies after a couple of seconds. ill start it again and the same thing happens

It sounds like a fuel pump problem. That model should have an electric pump that runs when you first turn the switch on. If you do not hear the pump run then that is your problem. These can be a problem if you have run the pump dry or running Ethanol.

I believe that your engine actually has two of these electric pumps one is a low pressure pump, before the fuel filter and one is a hi pressure pump. You could also try replacing the fuel filter. I would also recommend filling the new one with fuel before you put it on.

I hope this helps

Thank you

Jim

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

dave

I changed the fuel filter...I checked the first fuel pump that takes fuel from the tank and it works...I also checked the anti cyphen valve and it works...the boat was running fine i put a new control arm and cables in and a new oil cooler...when I got the boat back I filled the tank up completely...then when I started it the problems started

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Jim.

the boat has only 344 hours on it do you think the second pump a high velocity pump could go ? which is right next to the oil cooler that was changed. if so how can i check it to see if it is working when i start the engine and give it gas before it dies the engine rpm increases for abit then dies

That is the one that I believe is causing the problems. Can you hear it run when you turn the key on? You could also check to be sure it is getting 12volts to the connector.

Jim

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Jim.

if the second pump is not working would the engine accelerate when i increase the gas with the throtle

It could for a couple of seconds but not much longer. Isnt that what you said it would only fire for a couple of seconds?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Jim

thank you for everything

anthony

no problem glad I could help

Jim