Ask Pappy's Sales and Service Your O...
Pappy's Sales and Service
Pappy's Sales and Service, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Certified Technician Mercruiser Mariner Mercury Johnson Evinrude & business owner

I have a 1990 150 evinrude xp (model te150 slesb) and at ...

Customer Question

I have a 1990 150 evinrude xp (model te150 slesb) and at least 2 of the magnets are broken off from under the flywheel.My question is do I need a new stator and what would cause this?I have not pulled the flywheel to see of the timing harness is damaged and the magnets cracked the case of the reg/rectifier should I replace the rectifier?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Pappy's Sales and Service replied 8 years ago.

Hello... This is a common problem with the 35amp stator systems. I have never gotten a good answer why it happens . Remove the flywheel and check and see if others are cracked. Below is a repair kit and OMC part #'s for repair kits that is avalible so you wont have to find a new flywheel. Inspect stator real good, any damage to exposed wiring or coils, replace it. Inspect the timer base for gashes. I would replace the rectifier as it may start to leak. The OMC recommended flywheel epoxy adhesive for bonding a magnet to the flywheel is OMC #431929. The OMC magnet replacement kit (magnet & epoxy) is OMC #584304, the posting below is from Promarine.

Flywheel Magnet Kit
Kit containing 1 magnet and the epoxy to install it for OMC Looper flywheels.