peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

2000 bmw 328ci when i start the car it revs on its own to

Customer Question

2000 bmw 328ci when i start the car it revs on its own to about 4000 rpm's about every 3 seconds and gas pedal is unresponsive. i have replaced icv, mafs, air filter, intake boots (upper and lower). Help please lol
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 7 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is or has the check engine light come on with this issue here or have the fault codes been checked at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
check engine light stays on due to aftermarket non oem parts, but eml light comes on and ive never seen that before.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
dealership is not an option

Unfortunately I am unable to place a call on this here myself but others see you have requested a call and may still call on this here.I can however continue here.

The first thing that has to be done here is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool plugged into your vehicle that can read all computers.Once this is done any codes set are then diagnosed to then locate and repair the faults here.This doesnt have to be done by a dealer.This can be done by any repair facility that has a scan tool to read all codes and in some cases a local parts store can read fault codes for you at no charge.

In some cases this may be a fault with a vacuum leak on the engine.I have seen intake gaskets leak causing air to be sucked in and causes this issue.

You also have a sensor in the throttle body that can act up and cause the throttle to rev up and down.The throttle body has to be replaced when it fails.

Even though you have codes checked in the past the EML is engine management light so this does indicate a new code has set and you need to have the codes re checked again to see what code has set with this issue.The code will help to diagnose and locate the fault here for repair.

I suspect vacuum leak or throttle body replacement is needed.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete