Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My 2007 530i has a locked steering wheel. i tried moving the

Customer Question

my 2007 530i has a locked steering wheel. i tried moving the steering wheel and that did not work. I tried pressing the key all the way in to the slot and that did not unlock it. Any other suggestions?
JA: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?
Customer: what do you mean constant pressure? is that like turning the wheel as far as it will go one way or something else?
JA: Are you fixing your 530i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, I am trying to fix it myself. I have tried the suggestions in the owners manual that I noted above
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, I think I have explained it all
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 8 days ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you
.
I am going to be 100% honest with you, and I trust that will be appreciated.
I'm afraid I have bad news. 99% the car will need to be towed to BMW.
Unfortunately this is a very common problem on this model. The electronic steering lock is very common to fail and cause this. You can try wiggling the wheel and rocking the car back and forth, a second key, a jump start, check fuses, lock unlock the car a few times using the blade key, and unhooking the battery for an hour.
Truthfully, none of these is likely to work. I'm afraid that almost certainly the car will need to be towed to bmw, as this is usually the only way to resolve this issue.
Bmw will normally have to update the software or replace the steering column to fix the issue. BMW actually got rid of the steering lock on later model vehicles because they failed so commonly and were such a problem.
If you do a google search for you will find all kinds of people with the same issue.
I am sorry I can't have better news, but I do trust that my honesty and quick response is appreciated. Again this is very common.
.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle...