peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

Bmw 320i 2010 coolant light keeps coming on

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If this is the light for the low coolant or coolant level and not a temp or over heat light this issue indicates that the coolant level is slightly low needing topped off or there is an issue with the engine coolant level sensor needing replaced.Most of these level sensors come complete with the coolant reservoir itself.If you know it isnt over heating and that the coolant level is full then the sensor/reservoir needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Only the coolant light comes on there is no over heating light that comes on but I do hear a loud fan noise after I drive a couple miles...
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The coolant level is not full ... every time when the mechanic checks it they have to top it up
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Am sorry I thought you read my entire question .. it's a bmw 320i 2010.. the coolant light came on months ago and I had the water pump changed and thermostat and 1 coolant hose that mechanic said was leaking..it came back on again 2 months after and I had the coolant topped up.. it came back on a month later and mechanic asked me to change the radiator I then changed that then the coolant light came back on 2 months later then I had the coolant system bleed.. then light came back on 3 weeks later.. this is clearly not a sensor issue huh? Cus the coolant is actually leaking out..
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

If you are losing coolant then this is not a sensor issue here.If you see any fluid leaking externally I would have the coolant system pressure tested to locate the leak.Most shops or a dealer can pressure test the coolant system to locate the fault and repair it from there.If this was already done and the leak was not located I would have engine coolant dye added to the cooling system and the engine ran for a few days then a dye leak tracer light used to locate the leak.Once this is done it can be repaired.

In some cases it can be an internal leak with coolant leaking past the cylinder head gasket with a head gasket needing replaced.

This will have to be checked into further to locate which component is at fault here and then repaired from there.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My main question is that yes the coolant system was pressure checked and that is when the water pump and one coolant hose was changed but a few weeks later the coolant light came on again and now the mechanic is saying two more hose has to be changed.. is this a normal situation for this to happen?

This isnt normal for one leak to be repaired then all of a sudden a couple weeks later another leak shows up.It sounds like it may not have been pressure tested and checked over for the proper leaks the first time.It would be hard to argue this with the repair facility that they may have misdiagnosed the fault here.But I have seen this before.I would ask the shop if there is any way they can help with the costs of repair here since it was just in for repair as some may help with this here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete