Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

2011 bmw 550i the horn on the passenger side isn't getting

Customer Question

2011 bmw 550i the horn on the passenger side isn't getting any power sent to it so i would like to know where the power comes from because the one on the drivers side is getting power to it once you press the horn.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

there a Horn relay in the Junction fuse box ,and 15 amp fuse and 2 wires , one to each horn , a high range one and a low range one

Please click on diagram to view circuit diagram

you need to follow the wire for the junction box back to horn and do a continuity test on that wire going to horn not working ,so you know if you have a break in the wire between relay/ junction box .

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
where is the location of the fuse box that the fuse and the relay are in

Open glove compartment it is behind it

click on link to view

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i already checked that fuse box and there aren't any blown fuses so how do i get to the wire in order to ohm test it to the horn

it is the whole box behind it , these relays are internal to JBE, you can replace your self

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how do i get to the wire in order to ohm test it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are you suggesting that the whole box needs to be replaced

the back of the fuse box you checked fuses is the JBE box with horn relay internal to it ,

remember we talked about checking the wire to that horn and do continuity test ,before we go to the relay did you

are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

even if you know how to remove you need a bmw scanner to program it if it turned out to be the case

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the box also doesn't have any numbers on it so how do you find fuse 62
i am an a.s.e certified master tech and i am at a shop right now trying to diagnose the customers car
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do you remember me asking you how do i get to the wire at the fuse box in order for me to ohm test it to the wire at the horn
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i just put a mirror behind the box and i don't see any fuses at the back of the box

I will opt out of your question for other expert to help you on it , you should know how to do a continuity test then if you are ASE Master tech

good luck with it ,my time to sing off

a lot of experts here will help you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how do you ohm test the wire when you don't know where it is, why don't you sing to that. your five star rating just became a no star rating so why don't you sing to that as well.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no help needed because i fixed it