Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW Assist: how can I get rid of SOS light?

Customer Question

Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 14 days ago.
What can you please describe the issue in more detail?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
See the attached image. BMW offered a service called "BMW Assist". This SOS light indicates there is a problem with the system. The car is not under warranty, but I took it to my dealership and paid $300 for a full diagnosis. The said the problem was a faulty "telematics control unit" (TCU) and satellite radio tuner. They wanted $2000 to fix the problem.I found the exact same part number of my existing TCU and satellite tuner on eBay. In fact I bought 2 of each just to make sure. I replaced the existing units, and I still have the SOS light. I want this SOS light to go away.You answered a previous question of mine, and I gave you 5 stars. However, your answer turned out to be incorrect. Your diagnoses for the previous problem was a faulty CAS unit or footwell module. But a local mechanic found that the problem was a faulty battery.I have requested a detailed response to this answer. I won't be satisfied unless I can make this light go away. As I mentioned, I have already paid a dealership $300 and I'm not convinced their answer is correct. If you think you can figure this one out proceed, otherwise turn it over to another expert.Thank you.
Expert:  Steve replied 14 days ago.
I answered the previous question as best as possible with information provided. There was nothing indication the battery whatsoever. I received nothing for the time I took to answer that question.
For this issue, you need to have the replacement units programmed to your car. That is the only way to make the light go away
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I would like a different "expert". From discussion on BMW forums, reprogramming is not necessary as long as the part numbers are the same. The only thing reprogramming will do is put my VIN into the TCU in place of the VIN of the donor car.