Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

My car just swings at times and doesn't turnover; I have

Customer Question

My car just swings at times and doesn't turnover; I have noticed when it does this the fuel pump behind the passenger seat does not engage
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: I have replaced the fuel pu
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2001 BMW 325i e46 sportwagon
JA: What year is your Sportwagon?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you fixing your Sportwagon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I have cleaned and replaced some of the injectors, changed the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, dme
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's about it
Category: BMW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello

Hey how are you

1-you changed pretty much everything on it that could cause the fuel issue :)

2-but we need fuel & spark to start , since you can not here the fuel pump comes on then ,when you start it key in start position and an assistant with test light at fuel pump connector do you have power ?

I sent you the connector pin out ,tell me what are we missing

click on blue link to view diagrams

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

This here will take some back and forth & is not texting as far replies ,replies will take up to 3 to 5 minutes if not longer

there is no One word answer for this issue you are having , let me know if you want to continue ,if not i will opt out your question for another expert to help you on it

just let me know

Chad

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well I was thinking it is a wiring problem with the pump; so I was concidering running a direct line to the pump

if you changed the fuel pump,& relay and injectors & dme ( which is the controller of the fuel pump ) at this time i would want to do a continuity test one the wiring harness from dme to pump, look at any backed out pins making poor connection.

if you run a line u can test ,but car want run correctly u still dme to signal injectors and if no fuel signal it want

so for testing u can

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, I also noticed that when I swapped the dime the car seems like it ain't winked I want to believe I have to get someone to program back the car. But non the less the same problem exists so I hardly believe that's the issue.

oh no ,you can not just swap dme now on this car

I m sorry i assumed you had it programed, yes it will need programing with a factory scanner or equivalent

I have like a launch scanner for my shop you can do it with these or a new snap on scanner with foreign software in installed

that is why i wanted to know if the dme is power the fuel pump circuit ,if it does not recognize the car and basically your vin# ***** ***** in the used dme it want start and think some one trying to steal it as if antitheft is triggered on

that will be where i start program DME if you have not

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Happy holidays

I m online from 7 am till late daily for any follow up question on this issue

Please read below how to get back in touch with me

Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

Please keep in mind that when you Rate Me , it does Not End our Conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I will do that but what what I did was swapped the dime with a used on I had the same problem and has since swapped back to the original. The car runs at time well but when shut off it will just swing and won't start and then a day or so later will start good again

ckp sensor changed .

my experience ckp sensor causin no spark and it can be intermittent also a maf sensor can act that way and neither will throw fault codes and on high mileage one we start changing dme

but i would like to know what are we losing if possible to confirm for you