Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

I hit a big chunk of ice in the road, almost like hitting a

Customer Question

I hit a big chunk of ice in the road, almost like hitting a big rock! Got home and shut my 2013 328i off and an hour later started it up and put it in reverse and it throws it back in park. Then go to put n drive and it throws it back in park. Now my car won't move. This is My only vehicle, can someone help me?
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yeah
JA: Are you fixing your 328i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The car starts, everything runs fine. It's just whenever I go to put it in a gear, either forward or reverse it pops it straight out of gear and puts it back in Park
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: BMW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1- that big ice ,did it go under the car ?

2- You could had bumped the transmission range sensor ?

3- have you inspected the undercarriage or no lift available ?

4- any check engine light ,abs light ,traction etc on at this time?

5- if you engage in drive and move will it roll and move forward and stay in gear or let go again?

6- doe sit do it at idle only or even driving,or it want stay long enough engaged to drive forward?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah the i ran over the big chunk of ice with the big thud like I hit a rock, and no I haven't inspected the underneath because it started snowing and got dark and no there is no engine lights or sensors or anything appearing on any of the dash or screens in the car won't go into drive or won't go into reverse when put into long and it throws it right back in the park
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
know when put in gear it doesn't move it just throws it right back and park
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I And no it won't engage into gear at all. It ran fine all the way back to the house, even started back up......then go to put it in reverse and itimmediately throws it back in the park

Ok lets do the simple Master reset first and we go from there

Can you perform below procedure & let see it is a module issue and we can reset it for no

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What do. Hook the electrical wire to for 60 secs?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It now says Secure vehicle from rolling and then has an OK button

yes ,touch terminal cables together for 60 secs ,then 15 min disconnect , then connect

and lock and unlock door using key or key fob ,any changes ,did reset or still the same