Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2008 mini how do i know if it is immobilized

Customer Question

2008 mini cooper how do i know if it is immobilized
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  david craig replied 9 days ago.

Hi Im David, when you try to start the car, does the security light go out?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
which security light, everything on dash lights up as a normal startup condition but when i turn key to start engine nothing happens

there should be a security symbol or light or word on the cluster.

when you turn the key to start, it should go out.

theres a grounding strap on the passenger side upper motor mount ,make sure its not loose.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I can take a picture of the dash for you but there is no security light that i can see on the dash

ok. is there a blinking red light anywhere?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
these are pictures of dash checking ground strap now
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
no blinking red light anywhere

ok.

ok, well im going to opt out and let someone else chime in. good luck

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
strap is in place, secured, and no corrosion
Expert:  Steve replied 9 days ago.
hi, did you want to know how you can tell if the car is immobilized? is that the question?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I had replaced the CV axles on this mini, had it up off the ground on jacks, then when I was done put the car back on the ground and I would turn the key to start all dash lights worked as before but nothing happened the starter would not activate engine would not tunr nothing but when i turn key to accessory or run everything is normal just will not start, Check ground strap, had starter tested, and changed battery and still I turn key to start and nothing
Expert:  Steve replied 9 days ago.

I understand. what is the question you want answered about this? how to know if it is immobilized?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
is it immobilized by the EWS because no power seems to go to the starter to crank the engine, but the starter has 12.5 volts registering to its + terminal
Expert:  Steve replied 9 days ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

the only way to know if it is immobilized by the EWS is with a BMW scan tool that has the ability to check this. there are many things that can cause this, the EWS is only one.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Expert:  Steve replied 9 days ago.
..