Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 1995 E34; my tail and brake lights are not working.

Customer Question

I have a 1995 E34; my tail and brake lights are not working. All of the fuses are fine. Can it be the main light switch has gone bad?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 13 days ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
what is the last 7 of the vin?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
GF32403
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Did you receive my last response?
Expert:  Steve replied 13 days ago.
I am reviewing your vehicle set up now.
Expert:  Steve replied 13 days ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

the lights on your vehilcle are controlled by the light control module, aka LCM or LKM

this is your likely failure.

I would double check all wiring to and from the rear lights and also unhook the vehicle battery for an hour to reset the LKM, but most likely it will need to be replaced. It is a common failure.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Where is the LKM located and, can it be bench tested?
Expert:  Steve replied 13 days ago.

there is no testing specs published for the LKM. it is located in the power distribution box in the engine bay. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Expert:  Steve replied 13 days ago.

there is no testing specs published for the LKM. it is located in the power distribution box in the engine bay. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle. .

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I need to check this out before I can know whether you helped me or not. If this is simply a light bulb issue and not the expensive LKM then, I will feel stupid.
Expert:  Steve replied 13 days ago.

how could all of your bulbs fail at the same time? that isn't possible.

as I have answered the question, please kindly select a positive rating. if you would like to follow up for any reason, or if you feel that you did not get an accurate answer, you can reply again here at any time or have your question refunded after leaving a positive rating today. thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have a connection issue. One of the lights is now working. The $500 LKM is not my problem.
Expert:  Steve replied 13 days ago.
please see above.
I stated in my answer "I would double check all wiring to and from the rear lights "
therefore my answer is correct
please kindly select a positive rating to ensure I receive proper credit for my correct answer.
Expert:  Steve replied 13 days ago.
please see above where I stated in my answer "I would double check all wiring to and from the rear lights "
therefore my answer is correct