Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
14969438

2004 330i - I'm having blue- colored oily fluid leaking from

Customer Question

2004 330i - I'm having blue-green colored oily fluid leaking from under the engine compartment.
JA: What is the color and consistency of the fluid? And where exactly are you finding it?
Customer: Color is Blue-Green and thin consistency. It is in middle area from left to right but closer to from bumper than back of engine compartment.
JA: Are you fixing your 330i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I normally take it to a mechanic that is about 100 miles away. The Coolant level light has randomly come on over the past 3 days, however, the coolant level is full.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Mileage is 116,000 miles and due for 6,000 synthetic oil change.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 17 days ago.

The fluid you have described sounds like coolant. BMW coolant is blueish and slippery like oil. And with the light on intermittently this makes sense that you have a leak. The reason it shows full is when the system gets hot the system is pressurized and looks full when you open the cap. As for the cause of the leak there is a large belly pan under your engine with a small hole where you describing seeing liquid. It could be waterpump or thermostat or radiator or expansion tank. To be honest I would replace all of the items I commonly upsale all of them at once because they are a common failure on your vehicle with more then 100k in miles.