Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

It's a 2005 mini. It starts, then dies. I replaced the fuel

Customer Question

It's a 2005 mini cooper. It starts, then dies. I replaced the fuel filter and it ran for 20 minutes and then stopped again. It starts strong then the rpms drop and it dies.
JA: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?
Customer: Inside the tank
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm doing it myself. New fuel filter is the big one. I put in a new fuel pump a few weeks ago because it wouldn't start at all. Its run well since the fuel pump until now.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope. Thank you.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 18 days ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What is fuel pressure when cranking?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I don't know. I'm not very experienced. I don't know how to check it. It starts strong then dies.
Expert:  Steve replied 18 days ago.
Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you
.
the problem is still most likely a fueling issue.
.
if replacing the filter helped, then you likely have debris in the tank and/or new filter. this could have also damaged the pump,
.
the next step will be to have fuel pressure tested
.
the other common cause of a no start is a failing crank sensor but this is unlikely give what you have described. Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
This isn't a particularly helpful piece of advice. I understand that my limitations as a mechanic may be difficult but your answer is essentially useless to me. You might as well write, "Take it to someone else." That's fine but not worth paying for. Sorry.