Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
14969438

BMW Z3 Roadster With Service Engine Light On.

Customer Question

2002 BMW Z3 Roadster lost its gas cap and was replaced but why has the 'service engine soon' light came on?
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 20 days ago.

That is as expected. Your vehicle checks the fuel system for leaks and without a gas cap the light will come on because the vehicle detected a leak. To get the check engine light off you will need to have the faults codes cleared, some parts store will check and clear the faults for you free of charge.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Do you know which parts stores offer this service?
Expert:  Kenny replied 20 days ago.
O'Reilly and Autozone but they are independently owned and they can have variations on the policy. I would call ahead. Yes the cap is there and the light will go off on its on eventually but it has to run repeated test on the system to verify its Ok and this can take awhile. You could also buy your own tool on Amazon and clear it yourself for under $30 it is called a "OBD2 scanner".
Other parts stores near you may do clear the faults I would call around.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Kenny replied 20 days ago.

No problem, Good luck. And please don't forget to leave a positive rating it is how I am compensated. Thank you.